When planning upgrades to your home, consider the benefits of a new garage door. People notice your garage door when they are driving by or pulling into your driveway for a visit — it’s a highly visible part of your home. You might not realize it now, but replacing your garage door could significantly impact how you view your home within your neighborhood.
It’s easy to let the years wear upon your garage door as long as the opener works each day. But what about the door’s aesthetic? When was the last time you inspected its materials? With a closer look, you might realize it’s time to get a new garage door installed — and you’ll experience the many benefits once you do so.
Signs You Need a New Garage Door
If you’re trying to determine why you should get a new garage door, there are plenty of signs to look for to help you decide. Often, the signs are those things you dislike about your garage door but deal with anyway, thinking the issue only concerns its looks. Other times, the problems are obvious and should be remedied as quickly as possible. Sometimes, an old, outdated door could be hiding issues that can majorly impact your quality of life.
Here are some things to look for that might be telling you it’s time for a new garage door:
1. The Garage Door Opens Slowly
If you remember a time when your garage door opened a bit more quickly, then you may want to consider installing a new one. You can replace only the garage door opener, but it’s usually a good idea to install a new door with your new opener to keep everything uniform. Replacing both at the same time ensures the motor is running at its maximum potential and not being hindered by an old, damaged garage door.
2. There Are Cracks in Your Garage Door
If you notice cracks running along the wooden sections of your garage door, then it is probably time for a replacement. Cracks reveal that the wood is starting to dry up and warp, which can damage the rest of your garage door system. Rather than trying to repair sections of rotting wood, your best bet is to install an entirely new garage door. And remember, a new coat of paint might look good, but the more serious issues will remain.
3. Water and Drafts Enter Through the Sides and Bottom of Your Garage Door
This could be a weatherstripping issue, but most likely, your garage door is experiencing a structural problem. Warped or dented sections of your door can make it hang unevenly, leaving gaps and spaces for water and air to enter your garage. If you store valuable items in your garage, this could be detrimental.
4. Your Energy Bill Is Getting Higher
Another sign that it’s time for a new garage door is a high energy bill. An old door simply won’t keep the elements out of your garage — and ultimately, your living space. When trying to heat or cool your home, this could raise your energy bill. An old garage door opener might use more energy for every opening and closing cycle, which could also be a factor in high energy costs.
Benefits of Installing a New Garage Door
Installing a new garage door can be costly, especially if you are looking for a quality door that will last for years to come. However, remember that installing a new garage door does more than just fix the old door’s issues. It brings benefits that can result in more money in your pocket in the long run. Here are a few of the benefits of installing a new garage door:
- Increase your home’s value: If you ever plan on selling your house, you’ll be glad you invested in a new, attractive garage door. This will raise your home’s value and help you succeed as you enter the housing market.
- Enjoy your home’s appearance more: You look at your garage door every day. You might as well like how it looks, and a new garage door can make you see your home in a new way.
- Decrease your heating and cooling bills: A new garage door will provide an even, tight seal, protecting your home from weather that will drive your heating and cooling bills through the roof.
- Protect your belongings: Besides keeping out cold or hot temperatures, the uniform fit of a new garage door will keep water from seeping into your garage and damaging your possessions.
- Spend less time and money on maintenance: Old garage doors can become money pits with all the inspections and maintenance calls they require to stay up and running. Instead, save that money and enjoy a life of less stress with a new garage door!
- Enjoy a quieter performance: Old garage doors can be loud and squeaky every time they open and close. With a new door and opener, you can experience the benefit of an almost-silent garage door opening experience.
- Benefit from heightened security: Your garage door is more than your home’s last defense against the weather — it protects you from burglaries, as well. A new garage door will possess strong materials and insulation to deter anyone from trying to break in.
When You Should Call a Garage Door Expert to Install a New Garage Door
When you’ve determined that you need a new garage door, your best bet is to call upon the experts when you decide it’s time to get it done. New garage doors are an expensive, important part of your home, and a professional touch can give you peace of mind while making sure the installation is done properly.
Garage doors can be hundreds of pounds and often require multiple people with professional experience to transport them adequately. You risk injury to yourself or someone else if you attempt to move and install them alone. Having a professional install your garage door also guarantees everything is tightened, balanced and ready to go, ensuring you that your new door will perform the way it’s meant to.
Contact R&R Garage Door Experts to Install a New Garage Door
At R&R Garage Door, we believe a new garage door can do wonders for a home, from increasing property value to lowering energy costs. Our specialists will make sure the procedure goes smoothly from start to finish, ensuring you have a door you will be proud of for years to come.
With the help of R&R Garage Door, you can experience all the benefits a new garage door can give. Contact us today to schedule a service appointment or request an estimate, and take your next step toward enjoying a brand new garage door.