When your garage breaks, your first thought may be to fix your garage door on your own to save money on repairs. However, your garage door comes with various complex and dangerous parts. If you want to ensure your safety while avoiding costly mistakes, you should hire a professional who understands the ins and outs of your garage door.
Explore how you can keep your property protected by trusting in a professional rather than pursuing a garage door repair DIY.
Table of Contents
Can Damaged Garage Doors Be Dangerous?
A damaged garage door can put you and your loved ones at risk. Your garage door is an entryway you likely rely on every day, so you want it to last for decades. If you notice broken rollers, cables or panels, you should fix them as soon as possible to keep your property and your family safe. Repairing your garage door can prevent the following problems:
- Damage to your vehicle: Fixing the broken cable in your garage door keeps it operating safely and efficiently so you can protect your valuables. A damaged cable could cause the door to slam down on top of your car when you try parking it inside.
- Bodily injuries: Take care of the broken cables and springs on your garage door to protect the wellbeing of your family. Since cables are under a lot of pressure, they could harm anyone nearby when they snap. Instead of trying to fix it yourself, reach out to an expert who can safely replace your broken springs.
- Damage to your driveway: A broken garage door could slam down on your cement floor, cracking it in the process. You can save money on costly repairs by having a professional fix your garage door as soon as possible.
- Further damage to the door: You’ll want to fix any broken parts of your garage door before they become more significant issues. A faulty piece could lead to garage door failure if you neglect it for a long time. Save time, money and further damage by asking a garage door expert to inspect and repair your door.
- Higher risk of break-ins: Having a professional fix your garage door can keep you and your family safe against intruders. A broken panel or loose component allows intruders to break into your garage. If you have an attached garage, anyone could manually open your door, walk inside and potentially access the rest of your home.
Dangers of DIY Garage Door Repair
Trying to perform garage door repairs yourself can lead to further damage if you’re unsure how to fix them. A professional garage door technician has the expertise necessary to diagnose the problem and resolve any issues before they get worse. Experts also know how to handle the dangerous parts that could harm you and your family. You can trust a professional to handle these tasks instead of putting your property at risk in the following ways:
- A misdiagnosed problem: Garage doors may look simple on the surface, but they contain different parts that work together to operate the system. You can save time and money and prevent garage door failure by contacting a professional to diagnose the problem after a thorough inspection of the door and opener.
- A broken torsion spring: A torsion spring is under a lot of pressure to hold up your garage door. A broken one releases energy as it snaps. If you suspect that your torsion spring could be worn-out or damaged, trying to fix it yourself could lead to injury. Instead, trust in a professional who understands the risk involved and has the tools and experience necessary to stay safe.
- Installing the wrong parts: Each garage door manufacturer produces specific replacement parts for their products. If you try to fix the garage door yourself by going to a local hardware store, you might not be able to find the right part for your garage door. Installing the wrong piece could lead to further damage. Instead, let a professional who has the right components assess and repair it.
- Garage door falls: Your heavy garage door could fall on you or your expensive valuables when you’re trying to fix a broken or worn-out component. Professional garage door repair technicians have access to special equipment that protects them against potential falls.
How to Prevent Frequent Garage Door Repairs
Fixing a failed garage door can be costly. Fortunately, with preventative measures, you can avoid unnecessary repairs. Try the following tips.
1. Schedule Preventative Maintenance Appointments
Professional garage door companies offer preventative maintenance inspections to check that your door and all its components are in excellent condition. It helps to get your garage door inspected at least once a year, even if you don’t notice any problems.
During these maintenance appointments, a technician will check every part of your garage door and fix any broken or worn-out pieces before they cause further damage to your property. They’ll also inspect the auto-reverse system and other safety features and make the necessary repairs. These appointments can save you money by preventing future garage door failure. Plus, you’ll be able to safely operate your door once again.
2. Deal With Broken Components as Soon as Possible
If you notice any broken components from weather or impact damage, you’ll want to call an expert as soon as possible to prevent emergency garage door repairs. Besides reducing your home’s curb appeal, a broken garage door could lead to severe damage that impacts you, your loved ones and your property.
Instead of putting it off, it’s best to call a garage door technician when you notice the issue. Don’t do garage door repairs yourself, as broken components can present various safety issues.
3. Only Let Reliable Professionals Fix Your Garage Door
You may think hiring the least expensive contractor to fix your garage door will save you money on repairs. Unless they know what they’re doing, they might make the issue worse, costing you more money in the long run. You’ll want to trust a reliable professional with years of experience who understands how quality, modern garage doors work. An expert technician should be familiar with the intricate details of your product, such as its Wi-Fi capabilities and energy-efficient materials so they can prolong its life span.
Call a Garage Door Professional for Garage Repair
Whether you notice broken parts in your garage door or want peace of mind about its integrity, you can reach out to us for a professional inspection. Our experts at R&R Garage Door specialize in garage door repair in the Cross Plains and Madison areas of Wisconsin. We may be able to help you over the phone, or we’ll send a skilled technician to your home to assess the issue and develop practical solutions for your property. Reach out to us online or call (608) 798-3581 for garage repair.