How to Secure Your Garage Before Going on Vacation
While going on vacation with family or friends is exciting, it can leave your home vulnerable to intruders. Luckily, you can take the right steps to secure your garage and keep your property safe while you’re away.
At R&R Doors, we care about your home’s security, so we put together this guide on how to secure your garage before going on vacation. Follow these recommendations before heading out on your next trip.
How to Make Your Garage Door More Secure
Burglar-proofing your garage door before a vacation should be an essential part of your security checklist. While garage doors can be vulnerable points when you’re away from home, there are tried-and-tested ways to keep your garage safe from trespassers.
The best tips to secure your garage door before vacation include:
- Secure the opener: Unplug your garage door opener system so the door can’t automatically open when you’re away.
- Use reliable locks: Install a padlock to your overhead door latch to increase security and show potential burglars that your home won’t be an easy place to gain entry.
- Lock the track: Install a deadlock or padlock on your garage door track to prevent burglars from opening the door by force.
- Set up motion lights: Add motion lights to your property to detect trespassers at night to act as a deterrent. Without the cover of darkness, most intruders won’t attempt a break-in.
- Use vacation mode: Activate your garage door opener’s vacation mode before you leave. This feature turns off the radio receiver to prevent the remote control from opening your garage.
Maintenance and Repairs
Broken panels, corrosion and faulty parts can weaken your garage door and make it vulnerable to intruders. If your door has seen better days, it’s a good idea to hire maintenance professionals to service your garage before a vacation. At R&R Doors, we offer dependable and cost-effective maintenance services that will last. Our years of experience and impressive industry knowledge allow us to examine your door and provide you with the best repair solutions.
Contact R&R Doors for Service Before Your Vacation
Partner with the professionals at R&R Doors to get dependable garage door repairs before your next vacation. As a family-owned business, we’re committed to providing Madison and southern Wisconsin residents with reliable maintenance services and high-quality garage doors.
We pride ourselves on offering an unsurpassed customer experience and exceptional attention to detail. Contact us today to learn more about how we can make your garage — and your home — more secure.